Full disclosure before I give you my spiel. I am by no means a baker. In fact, I’ve had to dismantle quite a few fire alarms in my day. But, you guys. This recipe. I can’t even begin to tell you. I wish I could give you one through the screen right now (someone needs to work on this) – because then you’d be hooked. And there’d be no turning back.
The almond flavoring is intoxicating. The sugar coating is perfectly sweet. The doughy center melts in your mouth. This cookie will change the way you view cookies. One bite will transport you to a new level of comfort, and if you’re not careful, a new pants size (trust me, it’s worth it).
Enough rambling from me. Let’s get baking.
You will need:
- 1 1/2 C white sugar
- 2/3 C unsalted butter (cold)
- 2/3 C shortening (room temp)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 3/4 C cake flour
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Course sugar (Sugar in the Raw is great for this)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cream sugar, butter and shortening. Stir in eggs and almond extract. Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and add to butter/egg mixture.
- Use electric mixture (seriously, use one) to ensure dough is thoroughly combined. Sidenote, I didn’t have a mixer for this batch and it took some serious muscle.
- Chill dough in fridge for 30 minutes
- Roll dough into a small ball (about 2 tbsp) and roll in your course sugar until the dough ball is evenly coated. Place on baking pan.
- Bake cookies for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and gently press the tops of the cookies flat with a spatula while they are still warm and pliable.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely.