In college, I’d stumble home from the bars and remove my makeup with a makeup wipe before I rolled into bed. My approach to skincare has definitely changed now that I’m in my mid-twenties. I’m a girl who values her sleep, but I also appreciate a good nighttime ritual. And if you ask me, pampering the skin is a great way to unwind after a hectic day.
Here is what my nighttime skincare routine looks like, currently:
My Nighttime Skincare Routine: The Winter Edition
- First I use a makeup wipe to remove most of my makeup. You will always find a pack or two of these makeup wipes in my drawer. They’re a staple, and I’ve been using them for years. Makeup wipes are a great first step, but they shouldn’t be the only thing you use to cleanse your face. You’d be surprised by how much they leave behind!
- Next, I reach for an oil-based cleanser. Oil based cleansers and balms remove all of the makeup left behind by the makeup wipe. Not only are oil-based cleansers great for removing makeup, but they’re also extremely hydrating and nourishing. I started using this one and I love it already. It looks like a balm, smells delicious and melts makeup like you wouldn’t believe.
- After cleansing with an oil-based cleanser, I’ll “double cleanse” with a water-based cleanser, to help remove additional dirt and debris. Most cleansers dry my skin, but this one is very hydrating and leaves my skin clean, without feeling tight and dry. I can’t say enough good things about the Hydro Boost line!
- I’ll exfoliate my skin 2-3 times per week. If you have sensitive skin, I’d recommend only doing this step 1-2 times per week to see how your skin reacts. Exfoliating removes dead skin cells which helps your other products absorb better. I purchased this peel recently and it does a great job of keeping my skin smooth and flake-free. It’s awesome and all-natural!
- After my face is fully cleansed and exfoliated, I’ll apply my night serum. I just discovered this retinoid serum from the brand The Ordinary. It’s amazing and crazy affordable (like, less than $10 affordable). I’ve been using it for about a week now and I’ve already noticed an imporvement in my skin’s texture and coloration. If you’re new to retinoids, I’d recommend this one to start with. It has a lower concentration compared to other products on the market, so you can easily apply it every night without experiencing flaking or irritation.
- Dry skin is a real problem for me in the winter months, and this night cream has completely saved my skin. I’ve repurchased it twice already, so that should speak for itself.
- If my skin is extra thirsty, I’ll reach for this overnight mask. Every time I use it, I wake up with glowing skin. It’s a great product!
- This lip sleeping mask is a game changer. I bought a trial size at Sephora after reading rave reviews, and it really lives up to the hype. A little goes a long way, and it hydrates my lips better than anything I’ve ever tried. I’ll definitely be repurchasing.