I don’t know about you, but I am this close to torching every black and gray item in my closet. The weather is finally warming up, and I can’t wait to incorporate florals, pastels and lighter pieces into my spring arsenal.
While I’m dreaming of sundresses and shorts, Courtney PeGan is stocking her store with trendy pieces fit for the upcoming seasons. The owner of Curate Boutique is the definition of a #GIRLBOSS. She has an eye for style, a penchant for all things business and the courage to go after what she wants, even if it means leaving a secure corporate job to pursue her dreams.
“I always knew I wanted to have my own business, but I knew it had to be a labor of love because it’s hard,” Courtney said. “You have to love what you do in order to get out of bed every morning.”
Some might view fashion as a superficial hobby — one that’s centered around consumption and material goods. But for Courtney, fashion is a form of self expression and a way to help a woman feel more beautiful and confident in her own skin.
“One woman came in and she was in the process of losing weight. Still still saw herself as a size 12. I encouraged her to try on the size 8 dress and immediately saw how different she carried herself – it was an incredible feeling,” she said.
Courtney recently traveled to a buyers’ show in Chicago, where she mingled with brand representatives, and selected pieces for Curate’s spring collection. During our interview, I had the chance to browse the racks, catch up on her life as a newlywed, play dress up and talk spring trends.
Here are some of the trends you can start wearing now (yes, please):
1. Graphic Prints: According to Courtney, these aren’t your standard graphic prints. The new trend of graphic prints is more abstract than what you might be used to. Look no further than this dress. OBSESSED.
2. Luxe Textures and Fabrics: This season’s trend requires taking it up a notch. This includes rich brocades, tweeds, chiffons, silks, and other luxe fabrics. This gorgeous fringe skirt really brings the wow factor.
3. Ladylike Details: We’re talking bows, lace and all things girly. If you’re looking for an Easter dress, this lavender one is the perfect combination of sweet and feminine.
4. Wearable Tech: Designers are incorporating tech into fashion and it’s brilliant. Think purses that actually charge your phone on the go (something I NEED). Courtney has some awesome stuff on the tech front in store for spring, so be sure to stop in!
5. Jumpsuits & Rompers: Jumpsuits and rompers aren’t new, but the trend doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. I love this option. If you’re looking for a way to switch up your look, try layering a tee under your jumpsuit for something casual and unexpected.
Courtney’s trend watch first appeared on Curate’s blog. For more style inspiration, head to curateboutique.com.
P.S. – I’ll be at Curate tonight from 6-8 p.m. learning how to make gorgeous paper flowers. Grab your girlfriends, and stop by for some shopping, DIYing and light sips and snacks. Get the details here. Hope to see you there!